• Business Resources

  • Free consultations with The Texas State University-San Marcos Small Business Development Center are available to new and existing businesses. Local appointments may be scheduled through the Kyle Chamber of Commerce office (512-268-4220).

    The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) was created in 1953 as an independent agency of the federal government to aid, counsel, assist and protect the interests of small business concerns, to preserve free competitive enterprise and to maintain and strengthen the overall economy of our nation. Small business is critical to our economic recovery and strength, to building America's future, and to helping the United States compete in today's global marketplace. The SBA helps Americans start, build and grow businesses through an extensive network of field offices and partnerships with public and private organizations. 

    Some topics covered in these consultations include: 

    Personal Goals, Skills, and Financial Assessment Assistance with Market Research and Feasibility Analysis Preparations for Business Planning; Legal and Tax Structure Assistance; Business Plan Assistance; Implementation of Marketing and Financial Plans; Establishment of Bookkeeping System and International Trade Development Basic Requirements for Starting Your Business.

    Registering the name of your business: You must obtain an Assumed Name Certificate (DBA) at the County Clerk after verifying that the name you have chosen has not already been registered in the county. Contact the Hays County Clerk by calling 512-393-7330, or by mail at 137 N. Guadalupe, San Marcos, TX, 78666.

    State Sales Tax Permit: Business involved in selling, renting, leasing or providing taxable items or services must obtain a Sales Tax Permit from the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. This office also assesses the annual state franchise tax from Texas corporations. There is no cost to obtain the sales tax permit.

    Employer Identification Number (EIN): The federal tax number is required by all businesses except sole proprietorships with no employees. This number is used to file Employer Tax Returns, make deposits of employment taxes, and file business tax returns. This number is obtained from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and there is no cost for the number.

    Employer requirements: Besides obtaining the EIN and depositing payroll taxes, employers must comply with several other requirements. The state unemployment rate is paid to the Texas Workforce Commission. Employers should also contact the U.S. Department of Labor, Wage, and Hour Division and OSHA Division, regarding employer requirements including display of certain posters that can be easily seen by employees and applicants. Also contact the Texas Department of Insurance and the Texas Worker’s Compensation Commission for information about workers’ compensation requirements and classifications.

    Incorporating: Articles of incorporation must be filed with the Secretary of State Corporations Section. There is a $300 filing fee for Texas corporations.

    Licenses and Permits: To determine if your business requires local, state, or federal licenses or permits, contact the Economic Development and Tourism Division in the Office of the Governor. This division has a directory for all the occupational Texas licenses and permits, and also has information about local and Federal requirements.

    Business Property Taxes: Property tax must be paid to the county appraisal district on tangible personal property used to produce income. Business owners must report all inventory, equipment, and machinery. The report is filed annually between January 1st and March 31st. For property in Hays County, contact the Hays County Appraisal District at 512-268-2522 or visit their office at 21001 North IH35, Kyle, TX 78640.

    Self-Employment Tax: Because FICA is not withheld from self-employment earnings, self-employment tax is paid to fund social security and Medicare benefits. For more information regarding Self-Employment Tax, visit the IRS website at www.IRS.gov.