The Construction Supervisor supervises the daily execution of construction projects, including the delegation of equipment and labor while providing detail instruction to all. This position supervises and coordinates all phases of site activities for the projects including safety, planning, and scheduling field personnel as required in order to successfully complete projects on schedule and within budget. The Construction Supervisors interviews applicants and makes hiring recommendations to the TDSES Manager and Construction Superintendent, trains employees on the safe operation of equipment and enforces company, Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) and Mine Safety & Health Administration (MSHA) regulations.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Schedules and supervises the work of laborers, truck, drivers, and equipment operators and sub-contractors.
- Inspects all areas for safety compliance and corrects any unsafe practices or conditions, and makes needed corrections.
- Interprets plans and specs for construction projects per plans and adhere to all schedules.
- Enforces compliance with company, OSHA and MSHA regulations.
- Instructs and train employees in the safe operation of construction equipment, tools and jobs techniques and skills.
- Inspects and maintains equipment in good working order.
- Collects, codes and reports employee and equipment time to the Administrative Assistant.
- Submits daily reports on inventory and project progress.
- Reviews Vehicle Condition Reports (VCRs) and reports any needed repairs to Maintenance.
- Computes job costs and manages projects within cost guidelines.
- Completes annual employee performance evaluations.
- Operates equipment as necessary.
- Conducts project surveys as needed.
- Applies corrective disciplinary action with TDSES Manager or Construction Superintendents approval.
- Rectifies job safety hazards immediately.
- Reports quantities and project progress daily.
- Maintains professional demeanor with customers, contractors, suppliers, and other employees
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- High school diploma or its equivalent and at least five (5) years of field experience operating heavy equipment and at least one (1) year of supervisory experience;
- Willingness to work some weekends and holidays as requested or needed;
- The ability to survey project layouts and grade checking;
- Ability to read and understand engineering plans and drawings;
- Must be able to motivate crews;
- Leadership and training skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Experience using a computer or the ability to learn how to use a computer; and
- Understand the mechanics of construction equipment, the uses and capabilities and when repairs are needed.
- MSHA Certified (5000-23)
- First Aid/CPR Certification
- Valid Class C driver’s license
- The experience to obtain a MSHA Surface Certification