The Quality Control Manager develops, implements and maintains Quality Control Systems to deliver the continuous production of concrete and precast concrete products which meet established standards. This position also establishes inspection and testing criteria and procedures, communicates the Quality Control philosophy to the organization and coordinates Quality Control processes with plant operations management.
- Establish inspection and testing criteria and procedures.
- Communicate quality control philosophy to the organization.
- Coordinate quality control processes with plant operations management to maximize product quality and reliability and minimize cost.
- Maintain Employee work schedules, including assignments and job rotation
- Perform daily inspections of batching, mixing, placing and finishing of all appropriate fresh concrete tests
- Performs daily inspections of stripping operations, including verification of concrete strength requirements and product dimensions
- Direct workers engaged in inspection and testing activities to ensure continuous control over materials, facilities and products.
- Work with the purchasing department and vendors to ensure the quality of purchased materials.
- Design and implement quality control training programs for key personnel.
- Design, implement and analyze all concrete mix designs to meet and verify all required specifications in all seasonal conditions. Organize and perform testing as required for the specification.
- Prepare and submit mix designs for project approval.
- Methodically review testing methods and record tracking methods using existing and customized systems.
- Conduct material properties tests and implement necessary modifications based on test results.
- Monitor equipment performance and conduct calibrations, including calibration of stressing, batching and testing instruments.
- Oversee the disposition of non-conforming product, including compiling the appropriate documentation and implementing corrective actions.
- Complete project documentation and quality control records
- Make color and texture samples for project specifications
- Review and file material mill certificates for all materials
- Communicate with engineers concerning questions or concerns with drawings or details
- Be available to work weekend or holiday hours as needed to meet production deadlines.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- At least five years’ experience in quality control for concrete manufacturing or production
- Previous experience with and strong working knowledge of concrete batching process
- Experience with design and control of concrete mixtures
- Knowledge of NPCA standards for pre-cast concrete
- Ability to read and interpret building code requirements
- Ability to read, understand and interpret architectural and engineering documents
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite
- Excellent management and leadership skills
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
Preferred Skills & Qualifications
- PCI training levels I, II and III
- NPCA PQSI, PQSII – QA/QC certification
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, business or science-related field
- Advanced math skills
Required Licenses & Certifications
- ACI Field Testing Technician Grade I
- ACI Aggregate Testing Technician Grade 1
- Concrete Strength Testing Technician
- Valid Class C driver’s license
- Record of safe driving for the last five years as shown on current MVR, with no serious accidents or traffic violations