SHIFT - NIGHT SHIFT (starts between 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm)
LOCATION - CREEDMOOR, TX.
The position operates transport trucks to transport waste and recycling from transfer station locations to designated landfill sites and the Material Recovery Facility. The position is responsible for operating the tractor truck and trailer safely at all times in compliance with all governmental regulations pertaining to trucking and waste operations and will provide courteous, professional service to all customers.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Report to work at designated time in company uniform and with required personal protective equipment.
- Drive tractor with capacity of more than 10 tons to transport material to specific destinations.
- Maintain radio or telephone contact with base or supervisor to receive instructions or be dispatched to new locations.
- Maneuver and control the vehicle in a safe fashion, which includes handling the vehicle on-site and in over-the-road situations, using proper signaling, searching for hazards, controlling speed, lane positioning and matching speeds to road conditions (wet, dry, snow, or ice).
- Perform both pre- and post-trip inspections, to ensure that the tractor is safe to operate and that the required paperwork is on board before leaving the yard.
- Collect the route as outlined in the route sheet and documents changes and problems on the route sheet and reports them to a dispatcher.
- Use the on-board computer system in the tractors to enter route and load data.
- Ensure the cab is clean daily and the Vehicle Condition Report (VCR) is turned in at the end of every shift.
- Available to work the shifts necessary, including holidays and weekends, in order to meet business needs.
- Track personal Department of Transportation (DOT) compliance, i.e. daily hours of service, and to report immediately to the supervisor if in danger of being out of compliance.
- Report any moving violations incurred during work hours to the supervisor at the end of the shift.
- Report any personal moving violations or accidents to the supervisor within 72 hours.
- Responsible for maintaining a valid Medical Card and a valid Driver’s License.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
One to two years’ Class A heavy truck driving experience;
Available to work scheduled shifts, including nights, holidays and weekends;
Excellent heavy truck driving skills.
Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
Ability to perform basic math functions;
Ability to independently operate commercial motor vehicles;
Ability to read and speak English sufficiently to converse with the general public, to understand highway traffic signs and signals in the English language, to respond to official inquiries, and to make entries on reports and records; and
Experience pulling maximum loads.
- Experience driving an over the road (OTR) truck with a 53-foot trailer
- Valid Texas Class A Commercial Driver’s License
- Record of safe driving for the last five years as shown on current MVR, with no serious accidents or traffic violations
- Valid Medical Card or the ability to obtain one